Friday, April 15, 2011

Miniature Neapolitan Ice Cream Cakes

Passover's coming, and I (as usual) had cake in the freezer that I wanted to use up. I thought it might be fun to do some teeny ice cream cakes, so I went to the store and bought a half-gallon of Breyer's Neapolitan. I was waaaaay too lazy to make my own today.

Anyway, I had some chocolate and yellow cake layers and used a biscuit cutter to make six rounds of each flavor. By the way, I apologize for the lousy photography, but I was in a hurry trying to keep everything cold.








I then sliced each round in half so they wouldn't be so thick, giving me a dozen each of yellow and chocolate.








I worked with the cake frozen to keep it sturdy. You will have to work quickly to keep things chilly, keeping whatever you're not working with at the moment in the freezer. I started with a round of chocolate cake. I scooped a lump of vanilla ice cream into my hand, and worked very quickly to squash it into a rough-looking patty and stuck it on the chocolate cakes, then put the whole tray into the freezer.









Next, a chocolate ice cream patty on a yellow cake round. Then strawberry on chocolate. I built the cakes in the freezer to keep everything cold, squishing them a bit as I stacked the layers, and topping the strawberry ice cream with a yellow cake round.








I left the cakes to harden in the freezer for about an hour, then frosted them with the chocolate frosting at the bottom of this page, removing only the one being frosted from the freezer. I put in extra milk to make the frosting easier to spread. I did consider using a glaze or ganache because they are so silky, but I wanted to recreate that birthday party flavor of cake, ice cream, and a classic frosting all together in your mouth. Top with sprinkles and a cherry.

Voila!



















Leave them in the freezer until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment